How to be The Best Mother of The Groom
It’s a neglected and unrewarding role, summed up by the expression ‘show up, shut up, wear beige’ but the job of the mother of the groom is often pivotal. Why? Because the essential duties of the mother of the groom are not as important as the essential nature of the mother of the groom who can be a powerful force for happiness or stress not just at the wedding but either side of the big day.
Traditionally, the duties of the mother of the groom included:
• Introducing the groom’s family to the bride’s family over a meal
• Listing the guests from the groom’s side for the bride
• Assisting with research into wedding services like floristry, photography etc.
• (With the groom’s father’s help) paying for the engagement and wedding rings, your son’s wedding clothes, the bride’s bouquet and buttonholes for the men, and the transport to and from the wedding
• Organising places to stay for out of town wedding guests
• Standing in the receiving line.
Okay, it sounds like hard work for no real reward. On the other hand, the key role of bride’s stalwart is not described in the standard duties but can be the most fulfilling part of the whole experience.
Here are some examples:
• Inviting the bride to come shopping for your ‘mother of the groom’ dress is a fantastic way to give the bride a break … include a cocktail, a pedicure and maybe even a light lunch to give you and your daughter-in-law-to-be some quality time away from the wedding. With any luck she won’t suggest beige!
• Being a port of call for the bride’s mother to discuss nitpicky details like whether to have monogrammed napkins … it might not seem like a big deal to you, but it could be keeping her awake at night and getting it out of her system might make all the difference.
• Ensuring your son is reminded just how important he is; an evening together with a bottle of wine and the old videos and photo albums of his youth will give him some perspective on his life and remind him that it’s not just the bride’s day. And it will definitely lift your spirits!
Djokovic about to marry?
Novak Djokovic was on a Serbian chat show this week, and dropped a hint to his fiancée that she might soon be changing her name, or as he put it. “Jelena, enjoy it while you can. In a couple of months you will be changing your last name to Djokovic.” We’re trying not to be picky, because chat shows are traditionally the place for a certain kind of celebrity to reveal their wedding plans, but Novak really needs to work on his lines, especially if he’s intending to write his own wedding vows – we couldn’t help thinking that his announcement sounds more like a threat than anything else!